Staff Directory With Embedded Live Chat
In this blog post, I will show you how to create a ‘Staff Directory – Live Chat Link’ to use for every staff member in your organization. Whether you are an educational institution, or have an organization with multiple employees, you will most likely have a staff directory departments
In the below example I have created a page for Vanessa Smith.
(This is the chat form that an individual will see once they have clicked the “Live Chat” button in your staff directory.)
The individual will need to fill out a little information about themselves on this form before clicking the “Chat Now” button. Once the chat button is clicked, the staff member will receive a notification in their Skype for Business client that they will need to accept before collaborating in a “two way live Instant Message” conversation.
Here is an example of what the two way conversation between the Individual and the Agent will look like. The Individual’s chat conversation is on the left and the Staff Member’s conversation window is on the right.
If you haven’t already signed up for a free 30 day trial, you can do that here.
How to embed a Live Chat link inside a staff directory:
- Sign into the WebChat Admin Dashboard here.
- Create a WebChat Landing page : To create a new WebChat page, click on the Pages Tab at the top of the admin dashboard. Now, click on the ‘New Page Icon’. A popup window will appear. Give your new page a name by typing in the text box (the page name will be the name of your staff member). Enter the name without any spaces. Now select the ‘Create Page’ button.
- Edit your page:
- Select your newly created page to edit. Choose your page from the drop down menu towards the top of the browser window.
- Highlight and click on your preferred page to edit. Each page can have its own settings. You will start off by configuring the questions tab and the theme tab. See our user guide for more details.
- Below is an image of the page and settings that I created for Vanessa Smith:
- Now you will need to create a group :
- Click the Group Tab at the top of the Admin Dashboard.
- Select the option to Create A Group and begin filling in your desired information. Click update when finished.
- Name = Staff Member,
- Email = Staff Member Email,
- Routing Method = Please See our user guide for more information on routing methods
- Greeting = This is the welcome message that your chat visitor will see when the conversation first connects
- Invite Timeout = this is the amount of seconds that the staff member has before sending the chat visitor to an email form.
Click the Add New Users button.
- Give your user a display name. This is the Staff Members name that will be displayed during the chat conversation.
- Enter email address for your user. This is the email address of the Staff Member.
- Enter the users Skype address. This is the Skype address of the Staff Member. If the Skype address is the same as the email address, then check the checkbox “Same as Email”.
- Next add the group to the user. To Add, simply click and drag the group of your staff member from the available group section and place it in the assigned group. See Example below:
- Go back to the Page Tab at the top of the Admin Dashboard.
- Now, click on the setting tab
- Instruction Message: this is the instruction message that displays on the top of the Chat Request Form.
- Group Mode: This section will allow you to display multiple groups on the “Chat Request Form” or to only have a single group option. To route the chat request to a single staff member, choose single group.
- Assign Group: If you choose the single group mode, choose from the drop down menu the Staff members name. See image of setting below:
- Save: Click the disk icon to save your page.
Replace ‘companyname’ in the URL with how it appears in the admin’s signup email address. For ex: firstname.lastname@example.org. Domain will be the company’s name. Make sure no spaces are in the companyname. Hyphens are accepted.
Replace ‘StaffMemberName’ in the URL with the name of the page that was created inside the page tab of the admin dashboard (this will be the name of your staff member).
- For example: Here is what the link looks like using the above settings. http://enablingchat.com/enablingtechcorp/vanessasmith
- Edit your staff directory and add the text “Live Chat”.
- Amend a hyper link to that text and add the page url to it. Example: Live Chat Notice the hyper is inside the text.
- To embed your link with a smaller chat window, add the following code to your staff directory and replace the url.
- To adjust the width and height of the chat window, make your adjustments inside this code. For Example: width=540, to make smaller adjust the number lower.
- , <a title=”Chat ” onclick=”window.open(‘https://enablingchat.com/companyname/pagename’, ‘newwindow’, ‘width=540,height=455,toolbar=no,directories=no,status=no,menubar=no,scrollbars=yes,copyhistory=no,resizable=yes’); return false;” target=”_self”>Chat</a>